Nov 2, 2007

The Malay Mail - Lam Seng Fatt (9th Sept, 1983)

ALFRED HO GOES FULL-TIME
========================

Alfred Ho is leading the way for the blind. Accompanying himself on the guitar, Alfred sings popular Cantonese numbers, theme songs from Hongkong, television serials and evergreen English hits.

Alfred left his job as a telephone operator with the Penang City Council to venture full-time into music. "I hope to pave the way for other blind people. I feel the blind should not be confined to jobs like basket-weaving, telephone operating or stenographing. I'm sure they can do other things. They should try other fields and exploit their talents. I may not succeed but I'm willing to try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained," he says.

Alfred took up music because life was boring. "After being trained at the Gurney Training Centre, I had to wait years for a job. In the meantime, I took up music, learning the guitar from a friend. I wrote songs and learnt country and western tunes," he says.

"I had been contemplating singing full-time for quite a while. I figured that if I wanted to do something, I must go all the way wholeheartedly. I was working in the day and singing at night. It was exhausting and I had little time to spare. Music is in my blood. It is a form of release. It is challenging and I get to meet lots of people. Since I have a talent, I might as well use it," he says.

Alfred learns his songs note by note from listening to tapes. He doesn't read music, although he knows Braille, which he learnt at the St Nicholas School for The Blind in Penang. "Music is more rewarding income-wise too. It is risky but any business venture is a risk. Like any artiste, I hope to make it big".

Alfred has a wide repertoire of songs. He sings in Cantonese, Mandarin, English and Malay. He is familiar with Rock and Roll, Disco, Sam Hui's and The Wynners canto-rock songs and Elvis Presley hits. He plays the guitar with very aggressive rhythmic strumming and plays lead in a very country manner. His singing is mellow and most times, he imitates the style and 'slang' of the original singers.

No comments: